Old March 2nd 19, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default TOW PLANE Accident

At 04:42 02 March 2019, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 8:50:17 AM UTC-5,

wro=
te:

If we can't expect an instructor to keep his eyes on the tow

plane AND
wh=
en he realizes the towplane is no longer in his line of sight to

release
im=
mediately, how can we expect a 15 year old on her 3rd solo to

react
properl=
y?=20

Of the several 15 year old glider pilots that I have known, I

would trust
t=
heir eyesight, reflexes and training to, first of all avoid kiting,

and if
=
some freakish kite happened, I would wholly expect them to

release
immediat=
ely. Likewise, I would trust any of the newly minted 18 year old

CPLs
that=
I've known to give my brother a glider ride. Pilots with more

experience
=
have had time to become complacent and develop bad habits.

Tabla rasa(s)
n=
ot so much.

I think you are right, more experience leads to complacencies

and you start going things while your body gets on with the
automatic actions, just as you would in a car.
I think it is a personal discipline case where you follow the rule
even though they feel a bit silly, like using a mobile phone in the
car.
On 1 level you think you'r quite capable of doing the simple task
like re -set the altimeter or radio, but in fact if you do your not
really concentrating on the tow.
On the other level you know you were trained to leave everything
until you finished the tow.
Its a discipline thing to stick to the rules