Old May 3rd 19, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default TOST vs. Schweizer Hooks on Tow Planes.

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 1:37:55 PM UTC-7, Jason Scott wrote:
Currently operating 3 tow planes, all with Schweizer hooks installed. I would love to get access to some concrete information on the issues with the Schweizer hooks, comparison between the two, and any concerns with the TOST system. My goal is to likely switch over the fleet, having personally experienced a situation with a glider losing directional control on tow, and causing momentary upset to the towplane. In my opinion, the TOST system is superior, and tangible information is the best way to present this opinion to the other parties involved in our operation.

Pacific Aerial Tow Hooks has an FAA approved STC with a hook that has lower release forces than the Schwitzer hook. The tested release load on a new PATH hook is only 56 lbs with a 1000 lb tow load at 20 degrees. The whole kit is STCed on a wide variety of aircraft.