Scott Williams
external usenet poster

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 3:57:57 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 2:48:33 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 11:40:32 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:55:23 AM UTC-6, Rich Owen wrote:
Gary,

The response time of a fire truck going to Seminole-Lake is one item that affects insurance premiums. Since we are a commercial entity that has a 10,000 gallon fuel tank next to a hangar, having a supply of water nearby is a very good thing. Next time your out, we have a metal fence around a small dog house box next to the office. Inside that box is a hook up just like a fire hydrant. A fire truck can use our pool water as a water source. As in most rural areas, we do not have any fire hydrants anywhere near the property.

Um, spraying water on a fuel fire would be...bad. But I'd guess you already know that.

Yes, the fire fighters know that! They bring a nifty little device that injects something similar to liquid soap into the water they pump out of their pool to create a foam, which - hopefully - chokes off the O2 and extinguishes the fire.

Uli
'AS'

Proteins are commonly used to produce the foam action in firefighting foams. Chicken feathers are a common source protein for firefighting foams. On behalf of my friends in the poultry industry: "You're welcome."

I have 12 years (1985-1998)of crash fire rescue experience at Will rogers World Airport. So,

protein foam as a firefighting agent was replaced in the 1970's with synthetic chemicals named Aqueous film forming foam, or AFFF. Further, protein foaming agent was corrosive, unstable, and supported microbial growth, and required a large mixing ratio to produce a relatively short lived inferior foam. AFFF on the other hand is stable, mostly chemically neutral, and in down to 1 to 3 percent mixtures result in copious long lasting suppresant foams.
however in the suppression of liquid fueled conflagrations, copious liquid water is still the optimal agent (mixed with AFFF)
As far as I know most fire departments across the country have equipped even small grass rigs with AFFF and equipment to mix it with a fire fighting hose stream. even just a couple of 5 gallon buckets of AFFF can give a firefighter thousands of gallons of premium suppressant agent. and a pre-connect fitted swimming pool is a great source of clean water.

'Course ya all just got a dump of information from me, mostly because I just want to be part of the conversation.
Next time you see a firefighter boot drive for Jerry's kids, give a little.

Good lift to all,
Scott