Old August 28th 19, 02:12 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

I'm sure everyone hopes that SLGP will remain an active and viable GliderPort for years to come. While there is no love lost between myself and SLGP I too hope to see it continue and thrive. One never knows as one flies around central Fla when one might need a landable environment nearby.

The questions about Mihai are valid ones for this or any other similar forum and to try to suppress this conversation seems to suggest censorship in my opinion. He is the owner of a gliderport and this is a soaring forum. Mihai seemed to be a likable enough guy but I recall many conversations about his background when I was a new arrival/glider student at SLGP, most suggesting that he might have been a somewhat less than savory character. Who knows? As I have said in the past, one does not know what one does not know...

What I find most curious is the suggestion that Mihai is walking aound Romania free as a bird. His departure from the Cayman islands did not appear to be voluntary as his comments about fearing for his life would suggest.

It would make sense that if he is free he would want to sell the glideport. Considering that the court decision of Martin, Jordan and Anderson, March 2016 noted that he was removable based on a conviction of a crime of moral turpitude it would seem unlikely that he would qualify for a Visa for reentry, notwithtnding his ownership of the property. Could he have wrongly been convicted by Romania? Anything is possible, I'm sure many of us have had things said about us that were inaccurate.

I don't expect that there will be a line of investors/buyers ready to put down 2.9 million dollars for the place. What would make more sense to me would be that the well heeled owners of property on the airport would come together and make an offer. Perhaps Rich could head up that process thereby securing the facility for many years to come for those expensive composite airships. Hire a manager, tow pilot and intructor or two and you're off to the races.

Now with a Hurricane bearing down on us I would suggest that they batton down the hatches out there or this conversation might take a different turn.

Walt