Old November 13th 03, 01:02 PM
Stu Gotts

How true! But a comparison like this reminds me of a person wanting
to do a comparison between a pre owned Bentley and a brand new
Chevrolet. The new plastic planes are ~$300K and the new Bonanzas
~$700K. The really must be some difference in there, can't be all
product liability. Also the V35B and F-33A's are going for about
$150K to $170K. To get into a new Cirrus or Lanceair would require
about another $150K in pocket change. And a 25 year old Bonanza is
young. How about thinking what the composites will look like in 55
years. I guess the mission profile would dictate where you put your
money. For long CC's, a Bonanza is tops. For short hops (500 miles)
I'd sure like a Cirrus. For hops about town, a Champ or Cub. All it
takes is money

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:56:16 GMT, "markjen"
wrote:

What you saying may have some slight effect, but it is minor compared to the
general price trends of all aircraft and complex retracts specifically.
Very seldom does the appearance of a new airplane have much affect on the
value of used airplanes.

And others have said, I don't see someone with a budget of $150K for a 170K
IFR bird cross-shopping late-model F33As/V35Bs with a new $300K airplane.
And I think may pilots, truth be told, want a retract even if there are
fixed-gear airplanes of similar performance. Light twins can seldom be
practically justified over a heavy single, but many folks just get more
pleasure out of flying a twin. Finally, a Bonanza is a much more
rugged/substantial airplane, a much better rough field airplane, has a much
bigger baggage area, is bigger/heavier and arguably more comfortable, and is
a better airplane for situations where you can't hangar - I'd consider
hangaring an absolute requirement for a composite airplane.

I'll admit I'm prejudice, but I just don't see 25-year-old SR22s holding up
like 25-year-old Bonanzas have.

That's not to say that SR22s and Columbia's don't have their advantages.
They're fast, sleek, quiet, probably safer, and have absolutely gorgeous
panels. If I had $300K to spend, I'll look at them very seriously.

- Mark