Old September 7th 18, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider crash near Reno yesterday

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 3:02:05 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 2:47:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 12:01:25 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
In general, how does a glider start a forest fire unless gas is onboard?

Sad either way with a wrecked aircraft.

Yep, the west is having a bad forestfire season......

Witnesses say the initial fire began prior to the plane breaking into 2 pieces, so it brought fire with it to the side of Slide Mountain. One of the people on board was my brother-in-law. Pray for peace within the remaining families. Way too Soon.

If this turns out true this will be a key information. The witness I talked to (a paraglider pilot who was at the air the same time) did not see fire before impact. I didn't find reference to fire before impact in the news (only mention of explosion which could be the glider starting to break apart).
My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Ramy

The fire began about 10 to 15 seconds after the fuselage hit the ground. It did not start in the air.