Old September 11th 11, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Position Recorders allowed the US for Silver badges?

On Sep 10, 10:17*pm, Bastoune wrote:
I spent a bit of time on the SSA website trying to find out if
"Position Recorders" (not an IGC Approved Flight Recorder) are allowed
for Silver badges. The info from 2010 seems to indicate that Position
Recorders are not allowed for Silver badges, unless someone has in
addition a barograph. Did I read this correctly? Is this likely to
change in the future or do I need to order an IGC approved FR from
Santa?

Second question - Would and Out & Return of 60km qualify for a Silver
badge? Can't seem to find a clarification on the SSA website (beside
the definition of Silver = 50+km).

Thanks,

I believe the information which you seek is on the FAI gliding
website. The FlywithCE recorder is approved in the US as a position
recorder.

I *believe* that for the Silver you have to have one leg of at least
50 km so a 60 km out and return would not qualify. spend some time
with the sporting code and the SSA badge and record guide and your
OO. The paperwork is one of the biggest obstacles to the badge but is
not difficult if you understand what is needed before you attempt the
flight. have fun!