Old March 29th 20, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

I have a small collection of landouts within 3 km of the field. On my XC class the first dictum was:

"Better a good approach to a poor field than a poor approach to a good field"

Perhaps in some of those cases, I could have squeaked it into the home field by throwing out my margins, or perhaps adding to the stall/spin on final or collision with obstacle tally.

One now gone instructor took umbrage to my landing out in an L-33 which has a considerable record of land short accidents.

On a contest day at another club I landed out in the opposite corner of the 1 mile quadrant where the host club was located. The subsequent panic on the radio was something to behold. And the towplane came over for a look. I finally managed to get in on the frequency that I would phone in my location after filling out the landout card.