Old March 31st 20, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

I agree on the part about 'ashamed' to
1, damage the glider
2, inconvenience an unscheduled retrievecrew
3, explain to family about late return
4, perhaps pay extra costs (tow or crew)

I don't think there's shame in landing out. I do think most windsock circlers lack the landing accuracy skills, and are rightly unsure about a landout's safety. Landing precisely 'where you always land' at home, is NOT the same as an accurate low energy touch in a pasture.
If you want to test my theory, see how many of your local pilots can touch & stop in a 400ft length of the airport -- NOT at the usual place. This 'game' of skill development got my students all excited to play on New Years 2018. The rated guys had a yard of excuses to avoid joining the event. Video on Antelope Valley Soaring Club's Facebook page.

The 'new' owners haven't been encouraged to develop the precision skill. They haven't seen the variety of weather for landings, the years in some of our logbooks, and don't understand how to develop that visual assessment to a flare point & energy shedding tools. This is a failure in teaching, not in their desire to be a competent pilot.

Just my opinion, from watching a few zillion landings, from the rear seat and from the ramp.

Cindy B