Old September 13th 03, 04:59 AM
Greg Arnold

I have owned gliders with both tinted and non-tinted canopies. The tint on
the typical glider canopy is so light that I don't think it makes any
difference. Save the money you would spend on the tint, and spend it on an
swivelling eyeball vent in the panel -- that will have a lot more effect on
comfort in the cockpit.

"Henryk Birecki" wrote in message
"CH" wrote:

There are two reasons for a tinted canopy:
- against snow and clouds a tinted canopied glider can be seen better
- a tinted canopy creates less reflections inside (cloth, shoes, maps..
my friends with DG's prefer the tinted ones)

I am not going to comment on the first reason, the second one makes no
sense to me. There are "less reflections" because there is less light
inside cocpit. There is less light because of the tint, which makes
your pupils open more to compensate. The ratio between the reflected
light intensity and the intensity of image yoy want to see remains the
same, however your visual accuity is compromised by lower illumination
level (wider pupils).

I would think the only advantage of a tinted canopy would be that it
probably is not as hot inside due to direct sun heating (I am only
guessing)

Henryk Birecki