View Single Post
Old September 22nd 18, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default AMS Flight and LS6 Upper Rudder Bushing

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 7:25:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 2:51:58 PM UTC-5, Dan M wrote:
Thanks so much for all the info. This is great!

According to the drawings, the bottom "bushing" is an off the shelf needle bearing.

The top bushing is listed as either a brass eccentric bushing, it also lists an alternate off the shelf needle bearing (of a different size from the bottom) + MS (brass) bushing.

The bushing that is in there appears to be glued in. Do you know the proper dimensions of it or the removal/replacement instructions?

Dan

Dan, the bushing is eccentric so that you can adjust it. Here's how: remove the old brass bushing (you may have to heat it up to loosen the old Loctite). Clean the opening, insert the new bushing, install the rudder. Move the rudder left/right and center the top part vs. the rudder fin so that you have even spacing left and right. While doing that the bushing will slightly rotate into the correct position. Now carefully remove the rudder by lifting it out from the hinge points. Mark the position of the bushing vs. the steel opening it rests in. Glue the brass bushing into that precise position with Loctite, I would use 'Blue'. Re-install the rudder. Done.
Herb

Dan, I forgot to mention: by all means, have a new brass bushing made at a local machine shop. The type of brass used should not matter. Take the old bushing to them for measurements and very carefully measure the steel pin at the upper rudder hinge point with a micrometer (I think it's 5 mm), caliper is not precise enough. If necessary, take the rudder to the machine shop for that measurement. Assemble everything after putting a good grease into the bushings (needle bearing and upper brass bearing).