Old September 25th 03, 04:24 PM
Denis Flament

Pat Russell wrote:

Regarding the new Canadian scoring/tasking system:

So far we've heard praise based on theory, objections based on
theory, and objections based on experience. The only thing
that's missing is praise based on experience.

Is there anyone out there who has been scored using this system
and who likes it?

You're mixing two different issues :

- the tasking system - use of distance tasks : ALL objections in this
thread were about tasks, or more eactly task setting (because there were
better ways to solve the issue of low finishes, such as setting a
minimum altitude). Task setting raise a lot of objections too in usual
racing tasks !

- the scoring system - use of distance scoring, which consist to score
not on 1000 points, but on the maximum distance flown - if I refer to
the title of this thread, this is what we should be speaking about ;-)

Of course the distance scoring is better suited to tasks in a designated
time (either "distance" or "speed" tasks in IGC Annex A terminology),
but it may also be used for Racing tasks.

And Distance tasks are been widely used, including in Worlds, with the
1000 points system and the same potential inconvenients that have been
discussed in this thread - plus one : the minimum finish altitude is a
good solution in areas where you find few outlanding areas but high
cloudbases ; it's a bad choice if set too high in areas with good fieds
everywhere but poor weather when you are barely able to fly above the
minimum altitude !

--
Denis
Private replies: remove "moncourrielest" from my e-mail address