Old March 8th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Propellors vs Rotors

Can someone explain to me why 300HP applied to a large rotor
at ~700 RPM is enough to lift a 2000lb helicopter straight up,
but the same 300HP applied to a smaller diameter propellor
at ~2600 RPM can not even come close to allowing a 2000 LB
airplane to climb vertically?

This is really bugging me. BTW, does anyone have any idea
what the thrust produced by the propellor of the hypothetical
300 HP (say LYC-IO540 powered) airplane would be? Obviously
the thrust produced by the 300HP helicopter exceeds 2000 LBs.

TIA,

Don W.