Old April 8th 19, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael N.

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

Well I am trying to see two or three now.
This has been a great resource for me.
I went flying yesterday after not having flown in over 10 years. Got some dual at Tampa Bay Soaring Society. I had not even opened my log books for that time.
Anyway, I was rusty.
Flew a Blanik for the first time. Take off and landing were fine, no real crosswinds. However my thermaling was horrible. We had 2 to 5 knot lift around the field with ceilings around 4.5k feet. I was having a lot of trouble centering the thermals. With some help from my CFI, we had a 1.5 hour flight, which we only terminated because the day was getting late.

Anyway, with regards to my purchase, I am going to take a few weeks and get some more seat time in to see how I do. I am setting up to go see some gliders. Two candidates, the DG202 and the LS3a mentioned are both at Minden, so I can go look at those at the same time.

Thanks again for all the good dialog.
Mike