Old April 8th 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

On Monday, April 8, 2019 at 7:48:32 AM UTC-7, Michael N. wrote:
Thanks for the comments.
Why the LS over the 202?
I understand they both have essentially the same airfoil, and I have read Dick Johnson's report on the 200 about 5 times. He says it's comfortable, flies well, has a 40 to 1 L/D and responds well to the various flap settings.

So assuming finish and equipment is roughly the same on two used gliders, why the premium on the LS3(a) over the DG 200 (202)?

Thanks
Mike

Probably because the LS has better handling. Some pilots value this higher than others, where that ranks is specific to each pilot. I've flown a 4 and a 200-17 and would much prefer the 3.
You've narrowed it down to gliders with such similar performance that it's time to put performance to the side. 2 points better or worse at best glide speed is sort of meaningless once you're actually out on XC, it is a very small difference. Perhaps the 3 goes better at faster speeds, I don't know, and that might be the only consideration between these two. But far greater factors now are the condition of the finish, and aesthetics that are particular to you, like seating position and comfort, location of controls and the panel, ease of rigging/trailering, etc.
First, a glider that has been refinished not in gel-coat is a huge asset. If it has been done by a reputable shop (the profile has been maintained and the "paint" will stay on), you never for all intents and purposes have to worry about the finish. At the price you are buying in at, the finish is worth more than the actual glider. A glider under about $35k is only worth the condition of it's finish, particularly the wings. It will not make economic sense to refinish the entire glider, ever! And resale value will hold.
Second, go sit in the gliders you are considering. Hopefully they will rig them for you and you can get a sense of what it will take to put your glider together every time you want to go fly. Sit in them rigged, bring your chute if you have one, and move the controls and reach the instruments. By then you might have a strong feeling for the one you want.
Lots of good info here for you, there has been so much interest here likely because we all like to consider what choice we would make now that we know what we know about what we have flown and owned. It's fun.
On that note, there is a DG-300 on W&W now near the other two you are looking at, might want to consider that one as well It's a buyers market!