Old October 10th 12, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Butterfly vario review

Thanks for your response Richard.

Yes the Butterfly vario display appears most readable in all 5 videos I've watched. Assuming the vario was in climb mode, the averager (green triangle) and netto air mass (blue circle) seem to show more movement than I expected but perhaps it is just me. Does the software allow pilot selection of response time for these features?

Just so I do not mistake your meaning, please expand on your statement "the Butterfly has larger compensation settings".

Is the bluetooth stick available for the vario which sends NEMA info to iGlide?

Have you flown iGlide?

Thanks.

Ben

On Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:52:03 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2012 3:30:43 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:

I've watched all the Butterfly videos I could locate. Due to reflection and glare, most do not provide visible needle to needle comparisons with associated electric varios. Please share your flight experiences and observations. What are the obvious 'first run' bugs? Ben

Ben,

I have approximately 20 hours on the Butterfly Vario. I have an LX1606 next to the Butterfly. The vario mode is similar but the Butterfly has larger compensation settings. The SC mode is a little sensitive. Butterfly has agreed and are working on the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0IVkHUnWU

The LX1606 has some reflection on the YouTube but is viewable in the cockpit.

The Butterfly is the only instrument that I have seen that is as readable in the sunlight as my Craggy Aero Ultimate Le. About 4:40 minutes into the YouTube you can see a shade line travel down the instrument panel as the glider turns and on the Ultimate le and the ButterFly the line is not visible.

Richard

www.craggyaero.com