Old March 3rd 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony Cox

Default Ignition switch settings

On Mar 3, 8:34 am, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
"Tony Cox" wrote:

Here's a question that until yesterday I'd have thought was
obvious.

Cessna-style (and no doubt other) ignition switches have five
settings -- Off/Right/Left/Both/Start. When you're on the "Right"
setting, does it mean you are firing on the right magneto or
does it mean the right magneto is grounded?

Right magneto is "hot" (ungrounded). The "OFF" position grounds both
mags.

That was my understanding too, but after arguing the
point with two very experienced pilots yesterday, I
wondered how prevalent the contrary view might be.