Old January 10th 04, 04:33 PM
Matt Wiser

(JDupre5762) wrote:
From: "John Carrier"

For example both Navy
aces
flew together as a team. To compare their

claims at first glance it seems
they
downed ten aircraft together and there is

a photo of thier aircraft with
ten
victory markings but in fact

together they only destroyed five.

Well, the RIO gets the same grave or prison

cell if you screw up. It seems
only fair he shares the credit for the kills.

A good RIO is worth his
weight in gold. A fair to middlin' one isn't

worth 300 pounds of JP. I've
experienced both.

All true I am sure and it is a trivial thing
compared to all that a combat
aircrew must deal with and be prepared for to
question how victory claims are
credited or painted on an aircraft. Certainly
the RIO deserves credit. I
gather that early in the war the Air Force credited
each one of a two man crew
ony half credit for each victory so that for
many years Robin Olds was
officially credited for only 4 half victories.
I suppose there is no way of
establishing credit that would please everyone
and certainly the crews actually
involved know best who deserves it.

I've never seen a publicity shot of the Cunningham/Driscoll

jet with ten
kills displayed, just the five.

I checked my books and found the photo but it
shows Cunningham and Driscoll in
an F-4 with 8 victory markings. This is a signed
photo to the author Chris
Shores. The markings are small Vietnamese flags
and are on the right side of
the aircraft. Maybe these are the kill markings
credited to an individual
aircraft? The photo doesn't show bureau numbers
though the tactical number
seems to start with 10..... and is from the
book Air Aces

John Dupre'

I've seen that picture in The Hook magazine; those kill flags refer to
all kills scored by their squadron, VF-96.

Posted via
www.My-Newsgroups.com - web to news gateway for usenet access!