Old November 3rd 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASG-29/ASW-27 wing refinish

Mike the Strike wrote:
One of the reasons I switched to Schemmp-Hirth from Schleicher was the
latter's recent problems with wings, especially the ASW-27, which was
my intended new ship.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? Based on my experience and that
of others, the ASW 24 has one of the most stable composite wings
around. I hope to get around to sanding mine this winter but it's still
in great shape--even under the dial gauge--and it's nearly 15 years
old. I'm told the '26 is similar. Yet the '27 and now the '29 are said
to be much less so. Did changing to hard tanks from ballast bags
trigger this? Different wing design? Different materials? Is it
happening to every glider out there or just intermittantly?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"