Old May 4th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Vince

Default VISUAL AIRCRAFT RECOGNITION

Jack Linthicum wrote:
On May 4, 2:44 pm, Vince wrote:
Jack Linthicum wrote:
On May 4, 11:52 am, Vince wrote:
Jack Linthicum wrote:
The reason the switch from CIA to Air Forces is not discussed on
a document is that it was a violent and noisy fight between the
CIA that knew there were missile bases in Pinar del Rio and LeMay
who wanted his boys to get the glory. The Pentagon backed LeMay.
Scoop Jackson's memoirs, which I have quoted previously show that
is the President who makes the decision to use Air Force pilots
for th slim possibility they will be made priosners of war and
not killed as spies.
Vince

now I know you are deeply confused:

Please accept my apology for the tone of this comment
even confusion on a point should not generate such a comment
this has been a most intelligent and enlightening discussion

here is the source you supplied for your claim

President Kennedy authorized an increase of U-2 missions over the
island. This increase in aerial reconnaissance coverage was
caveated with the limit that all future U-2 flights were to be
conducted with USAF personnel and U-2's from the Strategic Air
Command. (124) President Kennedy ordered the change from CIA to
USAF missions in case there were any shootdowns or losses. His
reasoning was that USAF pilots could be protected and treated as
Prisoners of War versus CIA pilots who would be considered spies.
(125)

here is the reference in the source

(125) Jackson, 116.

your cite has a bibliography

http://www.rb-29.net/HTML/77ColdWarS...01biblgphy.htm

the reference for the Kennedy claim is to

Jackson, Robert. High Cold War: Strategic Air Reconnaissance and
the Electronic Intelligence War. Somerset: Patrick Stephens
Limited, 1998.

Not senator Jackson and his "memoirs" Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson
died in 1983

What is the source for Robert Jackson's claim ?

Vince

Dumb, thinking something obvious when it wasn't. Lots of books
published after the author dies.

I can't find Jackson as anything
other than a book for sale. Two more documentation of Air Force, even
DIA supervision of the October 14th flight. Otherwise I quit.

http://www.afa.org/magazine/Aug2005/0805U2.asp In late August, Sen.
Kenneth B. Keat*ing (R-N.Y.)-whose sources were probably Cuban exiles
in Florida-said there was evidence of Soviet "rocket installations"
in Cuba and urged Kennedy to act. Others, notably Sen. Homer E.
Capehart (R-Ind.), joined in the call for action.

Strangely, U-2 flights ceased for more than a month, from Sept. 5 to
Oct. 14. One reason was bad weather, but another was anxiety on part
of the President's advisors, who worried about the consequences of a
U-2 shootdown.

To the dismay of the CIA, the Air Force took over the U-2 missions
when they resumed. The first flight was by Maj. Richard S. Heyser on
Oct. 14.

http://www2.mmae.ucf.edu/~rrm/mccoyhistg.htm The first overflight of
Cuba by a U-2 occurred on 14 Oct 1962,

this is clearly an error

when Maj. Steve Heyser left
from Edwards AFB, CA and landed at McCoy AFB, FL. It would also, be
the first (Defense Intel Agency) DIA-controlled U-2 mission. In six
minutes over the target area, Major Heyser took 928 photos.

What I find fascinating is the total absence in the literature of any
primary documentation for the AF claim.

Very worthwhile discussion

Vince