Old January 20th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

Default Wind limits - small single engine aircraft

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering what people view as their limitations in terms of wind.
I'm talking 172 / Warrior territory here.

Clearly this is a personal decision, based on your perceptions of your
own skills, the aircraft you are flying, the specific conditions on the
day (E.g. how gusty, reports of LLWS & turbulence), your risk
tolerance, etc.

But I'm interested in what the various opinions are. How much wind is
too much to fly, for you? And how much crosswind component? Does your
max crosswind component vary with windspeed? And how about how gusty it
is? Clearly if it's more gusty that's a bad thing, but how gusty is too
gusty?

Of course I have my own views on this but I'm wondering what others
think. And by the way the context is that I have decided to cancel my
flight tomorrow (Boston area) due to winds, but I'm still hoping to fly
on Sunday.

I guess as an aside, what are the scariest windy conditions you've ever
flown in? Would you do it again?

I dont fly if forecast winds ( on the ground) are greater than 25 kts, or
gusting more than 5kts, or forecast crosswind is more than 10kts. I know I
can handle greater than this because I have done so with an instructor, but
by setting these limits I think I can keep myself out of trouble if winds
are stronger than forecast. On one occaision doing solo circuits in a
Warrior a northerly wind sprung up that I reckon must have been close to
40kts, but it was pretty steady and I had a north runway so there was
basically no crosswind component or gusts. it just felt a bit wierd that
the aeroplane didnt seem to be going anywhere on final as I came in with
almost full power. For reference I am PPL with about 180 hrs( over 5
years) .
Terry
PPL downunder