Old September 20th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

Default Pawnee 150HP engine upgrade

On Sep 18, 2:45*pm, Robert Gaines
wrote:
* With only 150hp, the Pawnee apparently is avery anemic towplane.

Is 150 hsp enough?
*It was my understanding that the Jeff Cloud Pawnee did a pretty good job.
Perhaps not so well with *"wet" Open Class machines but he was seen at
many sites in the SE doing a good job.
*Bob

I've reviewed the logbooks of the Pawnee-150 in question. Apparently
back in 1966 the owner at the time hung a 230hp O-470 engine on it in
place of the O-320. The 337 filed with the FAA just says they
replaced the engine, modified the cowling, moved the battery, weighed
and flight tested it at a new and higher gross weight, all in
accordance with CAR 8. Somehow I don't think this 337 would get
passed today. A later owner didn't even bother to file a 337 to
remove the O-470 and stick an O-320 back onto it. There was just a
logbook entry saying the bigger engine was replaced with a 0 SMOH
O-320 around 1992. At the last annual an A&P IA finally insisted
that a proper 337 be submitted legalizing the reconversion back to the
original configuration.

It doesn't look feasible to me that we could get a field approval to
hang a 230hp or larger engine on a PA-25-150 nowadays. Does anyone
disagree?