Old June 7th 13, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]

Default Really good variometers vs.....

I'm part owner of a Janus C. It's equipped with a Borgelt B100. It works, it's interesting, but it's not exactly easy to use. The one reason I would not toss it is that it drives the only varios in the glider. It also has a Speed to fly feature that I've grown to like, switching modes according to flap settings, and tones that make sense to me. I also have a Cambridge 302A (CFR Only) for a logging and GPS source, and run XCSoar 5.2.4, (which I have been happily using for 6+ years).
I have flown (once only) a friends glider with a full-up 302, but couldn't really figure out what the tones were trying to tell me, though they were quite entertaining. Can anyone recommend a site to learn about the advantages of a modern Vario? What will it give me that I don't get from my CAI 302A/B100/XCSoar?

Thanks,
Jim