Old July 17th 03, 12:11 PM
Simon Walker

Well, in any situation there are always going to be
'Ah but what if's'
That's why we all, hopefully, use a big dash of common
sense when flying, try and anticipate possible problems
and modify our actions to minimise the risk in any
given situation.

Therefore, if you have a ballasted ASW20 being towed
too slowly and you have to release common sense would
dictate a turn to the left.

'Ah, but what if you had gliders thermalling off your
port wing, or the ridge, or cloud, or blah, blah, blah'

But, in most situations when you have energy and as
long as you have acheived separation from the rope
and rings then a climbing turn in either direction
is fine.

I can already hear somebody saying 'Ah, but what if
the widget thrup became disconnected from the thingummy
and then the sky fell on your head'

You can turn either left or right in the UK.

At 09:48 17 July 2003, Tim wrote:
Simon Walker s comments read:

Usually they are pretty good and turn the opposite
way it's only when they are flying on mental autopilot
that they instinctively turn right.

Fine if you can count on your tug pilots ..

with a glider in a climbing right turn and tug in a
descending right turn there should still be no conflict.
So no nasty accidents.

Agreed so whether they are awake or not should be immaterial
- unless
you pull of as they are flying to slow for you when
you are full of
water ...
--
Tim - ASW20CL '20'