Old December 22nd 04, 05:41 PM
Frijoles

My point (also based on experience) is that once you went to the visual
arena mano y mano, the occupant was usually the determining factor in the
outcome. However, that was often translated as "wow, that A-4 with the big
motor is a tough...". Which, of course was part of the intent behind
dissimilar training...the differences that seem so glaring while comparing
EM diagrams aren't always apparent in the air when the adversary aircraft
was flown by professional bogeys.

Once had some of the youngsters play with the A-4s of a prominent, well
equipped and well trained nation outside the US. In side by side
performance comparisons, the ability of the A-4 to point wasn't even close
to later generation aircraft. What was comparable however, was accel from
250 to roughly 420 and ability to sustain in the 230-280 range.

I never lost a 1v1 to an A-4 -- ever. Can't say the same about some others.

"John Carrier" wrote in message
Humbled a few old and not-so-bold pilots as well. Even the A-4F (P-8 vice
P-408) accomplished that. That's first hand experience from both sides of
the equation.

R / John

"Frijoles" wrote in message
.net...

"John Carrier" wrote in message
That pretty much sums it up (although IME the so-called super fox was
not so super when it was just man y mano).

Exactly where it excelled ... humbling the Gen 4 jets in 1v1.

R / John

No, it humbled young pilots who mistook the horse they rode for "good at
1v1."