Old February 11th 05, 05:10 PM
ET

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in
news:2p5Pd.1701$uc.393@trnddc01:

ET wrote:
Sport pilot is for all of us who want to just fly. Yeah you can get
signed off to fly to C and B airspace etc., but you don't need to do
that right away. At the base level sport pilot is PPL minus night
flight, minus VOR's , minus towered radio work (or any radio work at
all depending on equipment in the trainer); minus hood work.

Minus international flying (not recognized outside the USA), minus
family flying (limited to 2 seats), minus long-distance flying (even
with the x-country you will have to land frequently to refuel because
of limited airplane size), ...

I am sure I missed quite a few additional limitations

jue

Well, I was giving examples of the training that would not be required,
but I'll respond to your post anyway:

Sport Pilot range:

As an example, a Zodiac 601XL will outlast your bladder and the desire
to stretch your legs. The Zodiac will fly almost 5 hrs and well over 600
miles without needing to stop for fuel, is that not cross country
enough????? So your range comment is pure poppycock.....

International Flying:

Canada is already in the process of officially recognising sport pilots,
in Mexico you will simply have to get permission ahead of time, the same
way anyone flying an Experimental has to get permission ahead of time.
Yes, more complicated than just PPL

Family Flying:

Yes Sport Pilot is limited to two seats, guess you got me there grin.
On the up side, for the price of a brand new 172 you can by 2 brand new
sport planes AND AN SUV!!!! and mom can fly one kid, while dad flys the
other, all while still burning 3gph less total fuel as the 172 BIG
GRIN!

Not only that, but as an aging baby boomer with money to spend on
hobbies, your much more likely to dump 70grand on an aircraft that you
have confidence your next visit to the FAA health police will not
disqualify you from flying!!!

-ET