Old April 28th 05, 12:42 AM
John Carrier

To my knowledge, the A-7 has never successfully completed a wings-folded
flight. Big problem is that the ailerons on the outer (folded) wing panels
so only the spoilers on the upper surface of the wing and rudder would be
available for roll control. The airplane is also not loaded in the T/W
department, so the takeoff roll would be excruciatingly long.

An F-8 did complete a wings-folded hop, out of Sigonella IIRC. The Phantom
should certainly have had the capability and afterburner wouldn't have been
the limiting factor. I know of no documented cases of the F-4 doing so.
Hopefully, a second brain in the cockpit might catch the oversight prior to
T/O.

R / John

"Yofuri" wrote in message
a425couple wrote:
I have a old question, maybe someone can refute, or verify?

I tend to mistrust 'sea-stories' w.o. cites. Sometimes I think
they likely true, probably partly true, or unlikely.
But some good ones stick in my mind, from all categories.

Making the rounds circa 1972 was that a F4 with folding wings
(story was MC, possib. Navy) taxied out (story was at Kadena)
got clearance to take off, hit afterburners and got enough thrust
to take off. Sheesh - wingtips were still folded up. Could only
stay in air with afterburner thrust, had to eject, dumped $4 mil.
plane in East China Sea. True or not? Ever true anywhere
or anytime to anyone??

I have seen (recently sited on s.m.n.) what appears to be a
picture of a plane (A-7?) flying with tips folded, so ???

I can confirm a visiting A7E doing it out of the fuel pits at NAS Miramar
in that era. He was doing fine until he tried to turn downwind and one
panel separated. The only injury was superficial glass cuts to a toddler
in a house on the lip of a canyon when wreckage shattered the patio door.

Rick