Old May 19th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Doors popping open in flight

The real problem with a twin is if the forward baggage door opens, breaks
off due to air loads, and goes through the prop.

There have been several accidents due to this and all the ones I remember
were fatal. There was also an R-22 helicopter here in the NW that just had
the window come off the door a couple of years ago. That window went through
the tail rotor and caused a fatal crash. (This particular window was an
unapproved modification)

Many Cessna 206 and 207 aircraft have had their rear cargo door open in
flight. This is a suicide door and hinges the door to the rear. In this case
the door slams back against the fuselage and causes extensive damage, but
the airplane is controllable.

Best,
Karl
ATP,CFI,ETC
"Curator" N185KG

"bob" wrote in message
. ..
How serious is it on small twin engines with only one door? Or with 2
doors, for that matter?

A friend of mine tells me that he once had a twin engine Piper crash to
investigate due to ditching. It was later learned upon the conclusion of
the investigation that a passenger in the back seat was trying to switch
places with someone in the front and the door inadvertently popped open.
At that point the investigator determined, from his own similar
experience, that the plane sunk like a rock due to critical disruption of
the airflow to that could not be corrected in flight.
--The door could not be closed again!---

As for my friend with his similar experience, his friend's hand was all
bloody from trying to hold it closed as much as he could. Fortunately,
they made a safe emergency landing at an island the just happened to be
nearby.

I've only flow small single engines and had NO IDEA how serious this
could be. They don't teach you that in flight school. Or is it because
single engines with only one door do not react the same as the twins.

Tell me the straight skinny so I know next time I go flying.

Thanks