Old December 6th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Tax bill of $26,000 for flying into US state of Maine?

Robert M. Gary wrote:

The guy is screwed. For the purpose of tax collection I believe Maine
defines a citizen as someone who spends more than 20 days/year in
Maine. It sounds like this guy qualifies. Personally, I believe that
all use tax is unconstituational and I'd love for the courts to
actually get to handle a case that is this crazy.

-Robert

Use tax in and of itself is perfectly understandable. Let's say I order all
of my copy paper from XYZ company out of state and XYZ doesn't have a
presence in the state I end up not paying sales tax that I would have paid
if I went to Office Depot down the street and bought it. Hence the Use tax.

But for a state to claim citizenship for anyone that spends more than 20
days in the state is stupid and shouldn't stand up in court. I live 20 miles
from the Louisiana border. I spend way more than 20 days in Louisiana every
year.