Old March 21st 04, 03:47 AM
Tony Williams

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
Would a fighter plane (say a P-51 or P-40 for example) that was on mission
to drop some tactgical bombs and encountered some any fighters generally
drop its bombs before engaging the enemy? or just try to run away? or fight
with them still hanging on (sounds pretty dangerous to me with the extra
weight and the BOMBs hanging under their wings)?

I suppose some pilots would jettison bombs and go for it, but I
suspect the preferred action would be to avoid air-to-air combat if he
could, and finish the mission before reverting to the fighter role.
Definitely not engage with the ordnance hanging on (or the drop-tank
either

Which reminds me - I read once that combat with a drop tank still
attached wasn't as hazardous a you might think (apart from the effect
on performance of course). If it was hit and set alight, the flames
went straight back and didn't set the plane alight. Not something I'd
care to try, though...

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/