Old October 12th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Tow Signals

All good advises from Burt and Tony, but since we are all human, and
human makes human mistakes, wouldn't you all agree that an amendment to
the "wing rocking" signal to first check airbrakes and then release
could save lives? It can take 5-10 seconds before recognizing that the
tow plane is rocking the wings and not just hitting turbulance, which
is plenty of time to take a quick look at the spoiler. This will also
cover the case where the tow pilot gives the wrong signal by mistake,
I'm sure this has happened before.

Ramy

Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Us a pretakeoff checklist - just like you did once on your FAA
Checkride!

CBSIFTCBE works - or any checklist that includes "airbrakes (spoilers)
closed and locked."

Left hand in a fist - behind the airbrake handle may alert you that
airbrakes are creeping open. The free video from the Soaring SAfety
Foundation has a good segment on signals and checklists. Order from
www.soaringsafety.org

Our procedure at Marfa, TX USA (developed from the towpilot's point of
view):

Ground crew refuses to hook up towrope until pilot closes and locks
airbrakes.

IF glider pilot wishes to use airbrakes open on takeoff for better
aileron control with water ballast, then ground crew confirms the
towpilot is aware of this.

Glider pilot radios towpilot "canopy and airbrakes closed and locked".

Towpilot (just before takeoff) repeats back to glider pilot "understand
your canopy and airbrakes are closed and locked."

If you do not follow our procedures - we don't launch.

No one gets a tow without a "Marfa Aerotow Briefing". Casual or "know
it all" glider pilots are refused a tow unless our procedures are
completed.

Sorry but as your towpilot we gotta do it my way. This cat has used up
8 of my 9 lives over the past 39 years towing gliders. Many glider
pilots view the tow as a means to an end- "just get me up there" like a
ski lift operator. Do the checklists, follow the procedures, and
remember the "joy of soaring"starts after you release!

Burt CFIG / DPE
Marfa Gliders west Texas
www.flygliders.com