Old August 14th 03, 06:51 AM
nowhere

I'm wondering of your trouble with the L-23 tail wheel is ground handling..

there is now a factory service bulletin to not push the aircraft backwards
across terrain, only paved surfaces.. the spring attach for the tail wheel
is not meant to flex when moved backwards.. only forwards..

BT

We try to move the Blaniks forward only for just this reason.
Unfortunately they do sometimes get moved backwards (either because of
ignorance or laziness) and this in addition to the many potholes on
our grass strip certainly puts some strain on them. Pushing backwards
was quite common before we bought a golf cart for towing the gliders
around the field so the ships probably did suffer a lot from this.

One thing I have noticed is that the tails take a lot of abuse when
the ship is braked too hard after landing, putting the nose on the
ground and letting the tail come down with an almighty bang when the
glider comes to a halt. This is likely excacerbated on the 23 as there
is a perception in the club that it is roomier than the 13 with the
result that it is frequently flown by the larger pilots. If you get a
couple of big people on board both wearing chutes the nose grounds out
quite easily. I just ignore the wheel brake altogether normally. The
landing roll of a Blanik on a grass strip into our usual headwind is
virtually nil even without the brakes!