Old December 6th 04, 12:05 AM
WRE

Actually, the highest point in the east is Mount Mitchell in western North
Carolina at an elevation of 6684 msl

"BTIZ" wrote in message
everything is different on the right side.. (east), but I can show you
places where there is still a long way between landable airports... north
woods of Maine, NH and VT, but then in NH and VT the airports are closer
together.. and their idea of mountains is down around 4000-5000ft, the
highest point on the east is Mt Washington at 6288MSL. But you still don't
want to mess with it if you are not familiar with mountain effects winds
and weather.

Learned in NH, lived and have flown all over the country, central plains
mostly, and now Western mountains, Nevada/Arizona/Utah/California

BT

"mindenpilot" wrote in message
I live out West, where there are hundreds of miles of empty space in every
direction. When flight planning, I often say, "I can ditch in that dry
lake bed, or that field, or if I have to, on that road."

In a couple of weeks, I'm travelling to North Carolina to visit my
brother for the holidays. I'm planning on renting a plane at his local
airport and taking him for a flight. To prepare, I got the Charlotte
sectional.

When I opened it up, I couldn't believe it! The thing is literally
dotted with airports. They're everywhere!

Seems to me, I'd much rather be on the east coast when I have an engine
failure, instead of out here where you're lucky to find that dry lake bed
(instead of a mountain).

Anyone ever notice this before?

Adam
N7966L