Old February 16th 04, 09:32 PM
Brian Sandle

The parent thread article continues to be discsussed on
alt.paranormal.crop-circles, where our other replies, missing from
nz.general, are.

Finding out the sources of these circles could be quite topical at the
moment, with New Zealand film series Lord of the Rings in the running for
Oscar.

Linkname: Who Was The Lord Of The Rings? : Laurence Gardner
Last Mod: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:36:20 GMT
size: 143 lines

[...]

The sacred power of the Ring was traditionally symbolized by a ritual
dance, as performed in legend by Apollo and the Muses. During the
Inquisition of the Middle Ages, however, the Ring Dance (often
performed around a maypole, market cross or mulberry bush) was
prohibited by the Church, for it was reckoned to be a devilish act
which would conjure evil spirits. Had the bishops consulted their own
records they would have seen that, in the early days of Christianity,
St. Augustine wrote at length about a particular Ring Dance of old
Judaea, which (according to his sources) was performed by Jesus and
the Apostles.

Even though the very word Church comes from the old Greek word 'circe'
(defining a circle or ring), the Inquisitors paid no heed to the fact
that their own establishment was based on the ancient Temple Rings of
Assembly. From the Greco-Phoenician word 'Phare' (whence derives
Pharaoh) meaning a Great House, these auspicious gatherings were known
as Phare Rings - or Fairy Rings as they were later phonetically
called. In practice, the Arthurian Round Table was a Ring of Assembly,
while monuments such as Stonehenge and Newgrange also bear witness to
the original Ring culture.
[...]

J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings tells of the hobbit Frodo
Baggins and his friends who, with the aid of the wizard Gandalf,
embark on a perilous journey to cast the Ring of the evil Lord Sauron
into the hellfire of the Mount of Doom. The Ring, which binds various
others within its awesome power, is having a negative effect on the
environment of Middle-earth, and it must be destroyed. Meanwhile,
although the Elves have driven out Sauron's dark forces, they (aided
by the Orcs and Black Riders) gather in the Land of Mordor, where they
plot to retrieve the Ring. As in all such stories, however, the Ring
carries its own curse, and will destroy those who attempt to interfere
with its magic.
[...]

So maybe we have a hint there of Eric Hocking's (subconscious?) need to
suppress.

The papal machine went so far as to slaughter some 35,000 Ring Lord
supporters in a savage campaign from 1209.
[...]

With the ref to the Round Table I thought I might also include
alt.freemasonry in this. The Freemasons had secret recognition signs to
avoid being slaughtered. And kansan1225 might like to look at the crop
circles database and decide about the dates.

The Ring, having no beginning nor end, was a symbol of eternal
justice, and the appointed Ring Lords (such as Ur-Nammu and
Hammurabi), who emulated their gods, were considered the wisest and
most just of men and were said to be the Shining Ones. Made of pure
gold, the judicial Ring was held in ceremony along with a delineated
rod known as the Rule, with which to measure the Ring's justice. The
Ring Lord who held the Rule was the designated 'ruler'. In time the
Rings became more ornate and were worn on the Lords' heads, eventually
to become crowns, while the Rules in turn became royal sceptres.
[...]

And we also see the more ornate crop `circles'. Who/what is doing it?
Should we call these creations hoaxes rather than religious symbols? Are
there any of the original types which begat the following?