Old December 10th 05, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default MDW Overrun - SWA

Low IFR weather, 31C is the ILS runway. The wind was NE at
13 knots, I think that is what I heard.

Airports that they could have gone to within a 30 minute
diversion, Springfield, IL has ILS 04 on a long runway,
Peoria, IL, Indianapolis, IN, Milwaukee. WI and of course
O'Hare.
It was a stupid error on the part of flight crew, IMO, and
they are lucky this is not Europe, in the EU they could be
facing criminal charges for the death of the kid.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Mike Schumann" wrote in
message
news | News reports say that the jet was landing with a tail
wind. Anyone know how
| much of a tailwind it was? Why were they landing with a
tailwind?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...33660.story?co
| ll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true
|
| Sadly there's one fatality, the first in SWA's history.
I've driven past
| that intersection many times, and it's partly
exhilarating and partly
| terrifying to have the jets take off so close above you.
And it's almost
| always a little disconcerting landing there with the
usual lake effect
| turbulence on final, especially when you seem to float
over the runway
| forever before actually touching down. I've never
piloted anything beyond
| my
| simulator, but isn't it really pushing the envelope to
land (on 31C) in