Old December 21st 03, 05:41 PM
Ron

My thanks to Jerry & EDR for explaining this to me.

That setup sure wouldn't work on my Nieuport because the rudder has so
little authority.

Ron Carroll

"Ron" no one @home.com wrote in message
To show my ignorance, what kind of tailwheel do most Pitts have if not
locking. If they don't lock, how are they 'steered', brakes alone? I

have
only about 200 hours tailwheel time (T-18, Champ, and Kitfox), all have

had
locking tailwheels, and all intimidate me. The Kitfox is a trainer for my
Noon Patrol Nieuport-ll.

Thanks, Ron

"Ditch" wrote in message
Hey all,
Here's the deal. I am going to be ferrying a Pitts S-1S from Florida to

New
York next week. This airplane is equipped with a Haigh locking

tailwheel.
have about 800 hours in various models of Pitts (S-2A, S-2B, S-1C and

S-1S) but
have never flown one with a locking tailwheel. I have flown airplanes

with
locking tailwheels, just not a light plane.
Does anyone out there have any advice on how to handle this one? I'm not

sure
what to think. I have heard good things and terrible things about this

system.
And, looking back on it...I know 5 pilots that have flown Pitts S-1's

with
the
locking tailwheel...4 of them wrecked on landing rollout (And having

flown
with
all of them, they weren't crappy pilots...all had Pitts experience and a

good
amount of tailwheel time). Crap...now I am getting nervous.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or

North
American*