Old August 24th 03, 12:14 PM
Mark T. Mueller

When I looked into the SR-22, the deal-killer for me was insurance. The
rates on Cirrus have been astronomical due to more than one fatal in less
than 6 months, with no apparent benefit from the BRS. As far as I know, the
insurance companies have really jacked up the rates on all Cirrus models.
The factory is subsidizing first year insurance for new owners.

If they don't figure out the insurance thing, they will hit a brick wall. I
am paying around $1K/yr for my Tiger. I can't imaging paying over $6K/yr for
a fixed gear single, and from what I have heard it doesn't matter if you are
a 500 hour instrument pilot or not... At that rate, it would be better to
find a nice used twin.

But I agree, if they get the insurance thing under control, Cessna and
Mooney are toast. They will have to come up with a 6-seater to compete with
Beech. If they come up with a 6-seat design that has comparable performance
to the A36, Beech will be toast as well.

Mark
AA-5B at HEF

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Flynn" wrote:
Apparently. I was very surprised. They're quoting 2 wks +/- for

the -22's
from order acceptance. Not sure on the 20's but I believe it is

slightly
longer. I think they produced 51 airplanes in July. The sales rep

said
production capacity is now 3 per day.

This has got to be killing Cessna, Piper, Mooney and Beechcraft. I
wonder if market saturation is in Cirrus's future. Are they near
filling a pent-up demand for new airplanes of modern design?

Congratulations on the new bird. God bless guys like you who buy new
airplanes, thereby creating used airplanes for the rest of us!
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM