Old June 29th 04, 01:16 AM
EDR

In article , Jim Carter
wrote:

Ok, in another thread we've been talking about 2 blade vs. 3 blade =
props, maximum tip speed and so forth. Someone posted a comment about =
needing really long landing gear to handle the 2 blade prop for a 1350 =
SHP turbine. That got me to thinking about the prop chord length and =
what a minimum prop speed might be. So then comes the question, why not =
just go to a longer-chord 2 blade prop rather than a 3 blade to handle =
the higher power?

Remember that the power produced is a function of torque and rpm.
So if you have a high torque engine, you can turn a large prop slowly
(think helicopters).