Old January 19th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default AC Williams -Final Glide

Remembered and missed here.

Briefly met and flew with him taking my private-G check ride at Caddo
Mills back in late 70s. I think he signed me off or did the check...
can't recall and lost the logs.

Lot's of years and wisdom there even then.

Bill Watson - 4i

wrote:
AC And Mary Williams Died Today
I was very saddened when I received word this evening that both A.
C. and his wife Mary died in a tragic automobile highway accident while
traveling in Oklahoma today. A.C. had been a National 1-26 Champion
pilot back in the 1960s, and had established the well-known South West
Soaring commercial glider operations at both Rockwall and San Marcos in
Texas. His day job was that of an engineer with E-Systems at
Greenville, but he loved flying gliders and the many friends he met
doing so.
He later closed his San Marcos glider school, and he and Mary
concentrated their glider training operations and Schweizer, then later
Grob dealerships to the larger Caddo Mills Airport. More recently,
because of health problems, he was forced to sell his operation,
hangars and property at Caddo Mills to a new operator. Red Smith
continues to operate S.W. Soaring today with much the same dedication
as that which A.C. and Mary had done for about 40 years.
Both AC and Mary will be sorely missed.
Sincerely,
Dick Johnson