Old September 4th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

Who cares what they wear? How about expecting the FAA "leaders" spend
effort and time on things that matter? Controllers have very little interaction
with "customers" expect via land-line or radio. Does the controller's attire
matter even a little?

When I take a CAP squadron or Boy Scout Troop on a tower tour, I expect
the controllers to look professional -- period. What does it say when
we require the kids to be in uniform, but the controllers are wearing
flip-flops and cut-off shorts?

And, yes, looking professional translates into a professional working
atmosphere, as has been proven by many studies over the years.

But that begs the issue: Since when can't an employer set a dress
code? To coin an old phrase, sounds like we've got too many chiefs,
and not enough indians...and NATCA has just set themselves up for a
huge fall.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA