Old January 13th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Default Airgizmo and Garmin 496 Install Saga

Mike Spera wrote:
[snip]
I have given this a lot of thought myself. I am concerned about whether
I will be able ot SEE the thing way across the panel. The screen is hard
enough to see on the yoke mount. At 51, the Mk I eyeballs (2 each) are
beginning to need reading glasses. On the yoke, it is a bit of a
challenge to see the small details. Across the panel with the engine
running, in light-moderate bumps, and on instruments, I really don't
know how I would be able to use it. That is also REALLY outside of my
scan. In those conditions, the yoke mount appears to be a better bet.

Viewing it concerns me too but a little differently. I've noticed that
for some reason, the terrain detail on the 496 gets lost when viewing
the screen from the left at the slightest offset angle and not at all
from the right. Virtually all the other detail (like airspace and field
values) can be seen from the left however. Luckily, the terrain
warnings can be seen OK so it's more of a cosmetic issue but annoying
nonetheless. Anyone else notice this?

I'll install the angled dock if it get too annoying but I'd rather not.

Marco