Old April 18th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John[_8_]

Default Naval Aviator Slots- HELP!!

On 17 Apr 2007 16:52:40 -0700, wrote:

Any advice given on this subject is much appreciated!!

suppose to be really well. Is there any hope of getting in from this
point on?

What obligation will he have after graduation from the MMA and how
does that affect his ability to get an aviation slot (what guidance
does he have from the school on this?)?

I honestly have never heard of any aviators that came this route, even
when I was in the NAVAIR Training Command in the 70's and 80's when
the need for pilots was greater than now. Not that it does not happen,
just have not known anyone.

At this moment, I would think that with most airlines not hiring there
is a high retention rate. Combined with a lot of squadrons getting
decommissioned, that does not leave a lot of slots for new guys.

My suspicion is that the few slots are being taken by more traditional
sources (Naval Academy, ROTC and AOCS).

I agree with another poster - if obligation to the merchant marine is
not an issue, get down to the Navy Recruiting Office and try to get
into the AOCS program (this is for folks who did not go to USNA or
ROTC and want to get into aviation - ever watch the movie "An Officer
and a Gentleman"?). This is your best bet at this point and the
program a lot of us on this group went through, or it's cousin, the
AVROC program. AOCS is for those who have graduated from college, the
AVROC program no longer exists but it allowed one to go to Pensacola
for 8 weeks between Jr and Sr years, then complete the remaining 8
weeks after graduation. This was what I did in 72 and 73.

There used to be a program for the folks from the USNA and ROTC who
already were commissioned and I imagine that there still is. I've been
retired for 10 years now and have not kept up.

Just make sure you are talking to an Officer Programs Recruiter.

PS: AOCS = Aviation Officer Candidate
AVROC - Aviation Reserve Officer Candidate

John Alger USN(ret)
1972-1997 // 1310,1320
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B