Old June 11th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
George

Default ENGINE BASICS

I believe that Ballenger Headers had the "pickle" located in the
collector of 4 tube equal length headers and there was also the
"coanda" effect which is specifically what I think you were speaking of.
It was used experimentally in a truly weird exhaust setup in the early
days by of one of the major racing teams back in the mid 60s, but my
memory is a bit foggy for specifics that far back, such as who or on
what car, sorry.

cmyr wrote:
Going back to some hot rodding roots,I believe V.E. was increased
in the late '60's-70's thru the use of a specially designed double
cone affair placed in the collector pipe of a tuned exhaust
system,which created a stronger vacuum effect , creating stronger
scavenging of exhaust, and to some extent , helping draw more fuel/air
mix into the cylinder.