Old January 18th 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default What a race in Chile today!!!

RC put a grand prix style option into the rules for several years. Nobody used it, so it got dropped in a general clean up. No conspiracy.

The option was "last start time," which allows a CD to say all starts after, say 1:30 PM are scored at 1:30. This allows pilots who don't want to play to leave a little early, or any pilot who is in good position and doesn't want to wait another three minutes to leave. As in the SGP, you can also leave late, but it doesn't do you any good. Then fly by US rules. That includes AT if you want it. But it also allows a CD running a grand prix in a regional, with a variety of gliders, to assign a turn area task and handicap. Not every regional can field a fleet of JS3 and Ventus 3 exclusively!

I suppose wilbur will not be happy until every SGP in the us follows every detail of IGC rules, but this seems to me like a good way to introduce SGP style racing into US contests in a way that preserves participation and recognizes the variety of gliders we have. I think it's a good bet that if any contest wants to use this format the RC would quickly grant a waiver, as the provision was already in the rules for many years.

I note that IGC rules include minimum altitudes at steering turns and finish, and none of this light graduated penalty business for blowing it. Maybe they have a good idea there!

John Cochrane