Old May 20th 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Cobra Trailer Brakes

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:19:55 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 5:00:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How much force does it take to compress the trailer tongue. My estimate was about 75 pounds. Does this seem about right?

DVM

I would guess that depends on the weight of the trailer. Mine is a two axle one with a max weight of around 3,500#. I would imagine that my damper requires more force to collapse than one in a trailer for a 1-26. I tried to compress my tow bar by hand and couldn't.
Only if I have to do a 'panic stomp' on the brake do I feel the bump in the rear. The three grease fittings get a few shots every year and that seems to be all required to keep it happy.

Uli
'AS'

To order the correct tongue damper for a Cobra requires sending the information stamped on the trailer's AlKo tongue to Ralf at Spindelberger.
This would imply there are different dampers, different forces.
(several are in stock at W+W)
When the damper is REALLY gone, you'll feel and hear a loud clunk on starts and stops.
Jim