Old December 9th 03, 12:21 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

I don't know the details of the New Zealand accident, I just know that it
did happen; but I am relying on memory without checking. It was a long
time ago, the glider was brand new and was being test flown after first
assembly.

One of the reasons that "high" tow (i.e. above the tug propwash) is always
used for launching in the U.K. is to ensure that the rope drops away. Any
device on the rope which might make it fly up is bad news.

"Low" tow (i.e. below the propwash) is used as a training exercise, and when
towing cross-country as distinct to launching. It is much more comfortable
when towing level and fast; but we always go to "high" tow to release.

At one time Lasham used a light type of rope with a breaking strain of 1,000
lbs. and no weak link, because they wanted to land close to the edge of the
field with the rope likely to drag through crops; this rope flew higher than
a heavier rope with a weak link on the end, but did not actually fly up.

Tost used to make a winch to fit on the tug to wind in the rope after
release, I have not checked to see if they still do and I have never seen
one.

Derek Piggott once told us that there was an operation in the USA where a
tug winch was used.

The vital thing with any winch system is that it easy for the tug pilot to
cut the rope loose without delay if there is a problem.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"BTIZ" wrote in message

Why would a rope foul a glider tail plane unless it was a very slack line
and back released..

We use a "drag" device, wiffle balls, to help the tow rope "fly higher"
than with the weight of the Tost ring better clear the approach end fence,
and to keep the rope from "whipping" and tying itself in knots.

Of course, I'm told, that the people in OZ fly "low tow", below the prop
wash, so on release.. I can see where the rope will "ascend" and possible
smack the canopy if released with any slack.

I prefer to release at or very slightly above the tow planes altitude,
always watching the rope drop away, even with the "drag device".

BT

"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." wrote in message
This sounds like bad news to me, it increases the risk that the rope may
foul the glider after release.

I recall that there was a fatality in New Zealand when the rope had a
funnel close to the end, to stabilise it; it also caused the rope to
ride high. The glider was a Slingsby Dart, and after release the rope
wrapped round a tailplane.

Also, in the U.K. there was a fatality to a Bocian flown solo when the
rope fouled the glider, I am not sure whether this was after release or
due to a bow in the rope.

Anything which might cause the rope to get close to the glider after
release should be avoided.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"John Galloway" wrote
in message ...

I have a vague recollection that a while back someone
mentioned in passing that their club used a little
drougue chute near the glider end of the aerotow rope
to fly the rings higher during approach and landing.
Does that ring any bells? If so I would appreciate
some information - or did I just imagine it?