Old July 26th 05, 04:53 PM

Doug,

Alexander Technique. Used by actors and musicians. You will note that
most NPEs are preceded by some physical changes. The shoulder raise and
the head tilts back. This is a posture indicating stress. While it does
not cause the motion-based nausea, it contributes to the feeling of
discomfort. Placing a hand on the passenger's shoulder can help to
relax him. I'll also suggest that they nod "yes" to relieve the tension
in the back of the neck. This will typically reduce the tension in the
abdomen. (I have a very short canned speech to explain that sitting
semireclined causes some physical strain that can contribute to
airsicknesses, but there is an easy and effective remedy... positive
suggestion.)

I've found this a particularly effect means of managing reduced g
sensitivity. Not a cure by any means, but it helps to keep the body
from adding physical strain to the psychological. Other recommendations
are equally valid: look outside, let 'em fly, point out interesting
features...

(Actors and musicians use the Alexander Technique to cope with
performance anxiety-based body tension, which often leads to nausea and
vomiting.)

wrote:
I'm a relatively new commercial pilot and have had several passengers
with NPE...near puke events! Some have been uncomfortable from the
moment we start the tow, others at altitude and others while
thermaling. I keep the chatter going, recommend steady breathing and
to look at the horizon. I make sure the air vent is open as well.

Can anyone offer some tips to keep the passengers from losing it? I
want each one to have a great ride and first gliding experience. I
keep the manuevers gentle and frequently ask how they are doing.

It seems the ones who say they will be fine, and laugh at me when I
point out the airsick bag, have been the one's to get queasy.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas