Old January 25th 04, 08:00 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Is there really much good news in this?

Last time it got out of whack, the Germans came over and bought up several
of the used fleet for refinishing. Didn't hurt the new market much in the
long run, but strained the used market IIRC. Suspect any factory
sponsorship in that effort?

Frank Whiteley
Colorado

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
The weak dollar has driven the price of a new glass slipper with

instruments,
trailer and shipping to $100,000 US dollars (Bad News) I have watched the
dollar exchange rate for almost 30 years and I have made some

observations.
When the dollar gets this weak, new sales drop off and buyers are inclined

sell their positions on new ships. (Bad News for manufacturers and

dealers)

So, what's the good news? Used sailplane sales will pick up. The used

prices
always lag the dollar. It takes about a year and we have just had our year

of
the weak dollar. Expect used ships to start selling and for the prices to

firm
up and even start rising. Expect sailplanes to be exported back to Europe

and
other non-US markets.

So, now is a good time to buy a used ship, before they sell or the price

goes
back up. I see a couple of used V2's for sale in the mid 60's. This is an
outstanding bargain when compared to the new US price of $100,000, or

more.

So, bring your new (used) ship to the Minden Championships (June 7 - 12)

and
be the envy of all those assembled. She's filling up fast and we have been
forced to place a limit of 40 total entrants, due to limited parking on

the
East side of the airport. Standard, 15 meter, 18 Meter, Open Classes.

Contact
me for a slot, preferential cut-off is 7 April, 2004.
See you on the ramp,
JJ Sinclair (CD) & NLBFP
JJ Sinclair