Old July 4th 18, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Simon Cooksey

Default BGA daily inspection sign off

On 04/07/18 15:48, Simon Cooksey wrote:
On 29/06/18 23:54, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Thought this should have it's own thread. I had never heard of a DI sign off book, but as the other items I have seen from the BGA, I will incorporate this to my daily flight routine.

It might be of interest to know the daily inspection regime and training
pilots under the BGA stick to.

There's the DI, which anyone deemed competent by the local club can do.
It's normal for early-solo and pre-solo pilots who have been
vocationally trained on task to do these checks. It's not meant to be an
annual, but just a check for anything untoward from the last flight or
rigging. If the glider has been rigged since it last flown, and
independent rigging check is done by a 2nd person to confirm the
controls are properly connected.

One correction, the BGA must have changed the policy since I last
checked -- its post-solo pilots only who are allowed to do a DI.

BGA Instructor Manual, Section 8-31, PDF Page 4, column 2:
https://members.gliding.co.uk/wp-con...-_-DI-2017.pdf

Only 'licensed pilots' can DI club gliders, so this bars pre-solo
pilots from doing them.

Even so, pre-solo pilots are involved heavily in the DI process as it
really is a good way to familiarise students with gliders, and frosty
winter starts from being totally dire for the local solo club-flying
members.

- Simon