Old June 15th 14, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Fatal crash Arizona

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:55:27 PM UTC-7, Bill D wrote:
On Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:39:06 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:

The other issue is that a tow rope break requires immediate lowering of the nose.

Why would anyone lower the nose? The glider is presumably at aero tow speed - 65 - 70 knots which is way above the pattern speed. A better plan is to use the excess airspeed to maintain height while turning until airspeed drops to pattern speed.

This is done routinely at altitude, but at low altitude this means pointing the glider's nose uncomfortably down at the ground while executing a steep banked turn. If the ground is rising, as it is at Sampley, the picture seen by the pilot is even more disturbing. All that it takes is a momentary hesitation in this reflex and the outcome can be fatal.

The nose is not "uncomfortably down". The turn back is a normal turn.

As an aside, I once did a wind mill start in my DG400 below 1000' (over a runway). This maneuver requires achieving in excess of 90 kt airspeed. Because the engine & prop act like dive brakes, you feel like you are standing on your rudder pedals when you do this close to the ground. I got to this airspeed and the prop still didn't rotate. This meant that I had to steepen the descent even more. All of my instincts said no, but my brain said yes, which is what I did. The engine started, but I decided that this maneuver really needs to be started at a higher altitude.

Aha! You're really a motor glider pilot, not an aero tow pilot which explains your misconceptions.

PLEASE stop with the sanctimonious crap! I have done hundreds of aerotows. You need to lower the nose because you are in a climb attitude and need to transition to a glide attitude. On your next tow note where the horizon is on the canopy and compare it to where it is after release at the same airspeed.

Tom